These cookies have taken me for a stroll down memory lane. You can relax though…no long stories (today that is haha).
I remember eating these cookies when I was pregnant with my daughter (she’s now 2). I needed a quick snack with some protein to get me through some of those rough days. (Pregnancy isn’t all rainbows…sometimes you hate eating protein and can’t stand around a hot kitchen for long…oh the fun.)
Nowadays I have different nutritional needs. I’ve recently been trying to go gluten-free because I’ve been noticing some food sensitivity after eating wheat products.
This morning I wanted toast so much. I haven’t jumped into the gluten-free bread melee just yet. So gluten-free bread there was none.
But I thought hmm…maybe I can whip up some breakfast cookies.
I changed things up a bit and the result is the recipe that you will see below.
Super Easy Peanut Butter, Oat & Cinnamon Cookies
Prep/hands on time: 15 minutes or less
Serves: 4-6 (maybe 😉)
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- a few sprinkles pink Himalayan salt
- *1/2 cup plain cheerios, crushed
- **1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
*I put some cheerios in a ziplock bag and crunched them up with a heavy glass cup.
**I like to make a bunch of oat flour in the blender so I don’t have to make it every time. Then I sift it through a mesh strainer to get a fine texture.
- Place cheerios, oat flour, quick oats and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Measure the peanut butter, honey, vanilla and salt into a medium saucepan.
- Set heat to medium high and stir till melted and thoroughly mixed. (Or you can use a microwave to melt the ingredients.)
- Pour and scrape the melted peanut butter mixture into the bowl you set aside and stir it into the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Shape into 16 or so small balls.
- Place on a plate and dust with cinnamon.
- Flatten and criss-cross with a fork.
It cost me $1.54 to make 16 of these cookies. That’s only a little under 10¢ per cookie!